Do you want to visit Laxmi Vilas Palace Vadodara? But first let me tell you that Vadodara is very famous since years for it’s rich culture and history and Laxmi Vilas Palace Vadodar is the cherry on the top which is situated right in the centre of the heart of the city. This palace is so beautiful that it has become major tourist attraction in the city and you usually find lot of foreigners visiting the Palace and going crazy after the beauty of the beautifully built palace.
Facts about Laxmi Vilas Palace Vadodara
1) Laxmi Vilas Palace is the largest private residence built till day in the world. This beautiful property is 4 times the size of Buckingham Palace. Surprised?
2) The beautiful palace has 170 rooms and was built for just two people. For Maharaja and the Maharani of Vadodara.
3) The construction of Laxmi Vilas Palace took 12 years to complete which began in 1878.
4) Laxmi Vilas Palace is designed in Indo-Saracenic style by the famous architech Major Charles mant and later it was completed by Robert Fellowes Chisholm because of death of Major Charles.
Major Charles came to an conclusion that his calculations had gone wrong so he hung himself to death as he thought that the beautiful palace would not stand still for long time but even after 125 years, The palace stands strong.
5) The front side of the Laxmi Vilas Palace is designed in eclectic architectural style blending, Rajput, Marathi, Jain, Gujarati, Moghul as well as Venetian and Gothic designs harmoniously.
6) A blend of foreign and local materials was used in the construction of this beautiful palace in Vadodara. Blue trapstone from Poona, Red sand stone from Agra, Marbles of Rjasthan and Italy were used to built the palace. 12 workmen were hired from Venice to design the beautiful mosaic floor of Durbar hall in the palace area.
7) Laxmi Vilas Palace in Vadodara is considered as one of the most expensive palaces during the time of it’s construction. The cost to built the palace was Approx £180,000.
8) The big and the most pretty garden in Laxmi Vilas Palace is designed by the most renowned Sir William Goldring who has also designed the famous Kew Botanical Garden in London.
10) Did you know Laxmi Vilas Palace has the maximum number of stained glass ever used in a palace. Yes you need to visit the beautiful Palace and witness this with your own eyes.
Surprised by all the facts? When are you visiting this beautiful palace in Vadodara?